This delicious hearty stew makes for a great dinner on a cold winter day.
- 3 tablespoons garlic-infused oil
- 1 bunch scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 small eggplant (1/2 pound), peeled, and cut in ½-inch cubes
- 1 small zucchini (1/2 pound), cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 cups canned diced or chopped tomatoes
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 16-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Warm garlic-infused olive oil over medium-high heat in an 8-quart kettle until fragrant. Add the scallion greens and minced ginger. Sauté briefly, then measure all of the seasonings into the pot. Stir together for several minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover tightly and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, 30-45 minutes. Serve over brown rice couscous.