- Canola spray oil
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup nonfat or lowfat plain yogurt
- 3 very ripe bananas, smashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8×4-inch metal loaf pan with spray oil. (Alternatively, use 3 (5×3-inch) mini loaf pans.)
- In a bowl, whisk together both flours, flaxseed meal, 2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and granulated sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, bananas and vanilla. Sprinkle in flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together turbinado sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of batter.
- Bake until a knife inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. (If using a glass loaf pan, decrease the baking time by 5 to 10 minutes. If using mini loaf pans, bake for about 40 minutes.)
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes. Remove bread from the pan and continue to cool on the wire rack.
- Serve immediately or wrap and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Per Serving (Serves 14) : Serving size: 1 slice, 170 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 40mgcholesterol, 190mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates, (2 g dietary fiber, 13g sugar), 4g protein.