- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup lowfat (1%) milk or unsweetened nondairy beverage
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa*
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin purée and egg.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture and stir until evenly mixed.
- Stir in quinoa. Set batter aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Oil a cast-iron griddle or large nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat until hot. Ladle a heaping 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle and cook about 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Flip and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until pancakes are cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter and serve warm.
*Use precooked frozen quinoa or cook from scratch by rinsing 1/2 cup quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a small pot. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork. Measure out 3/4 cup cooked quinoa and refrigerate or freeze the rest for a salad or a second round of pancakes.
Per Serving: Serving size: 2 pancakes, 180 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 8g protein.