Try this hearty, turkey noodle soup on a cold, Fall evening. Serves 6 to 8.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or homemade turkey broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (10 ounces) cubed or shredded cooked turkey breast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook 6 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth, 4 cups water and thyme and bring to a boil. Add kale and macaroni and return to a boil. Cook about 5 minutes or until macaroni is al dente. Stir in turkey and pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until turkey is heated through. Remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Per Serving: 200 calories (35 from fat), 4g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 32g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 17g protein.