The holidays often mean more candy at the office, more lunches and dinners out, more traveling, more vacations and often more stress than normal. With that said the average weight gain over the holiday season is 6-8 pounds.
Here are some strategies to help you through:
- Seek Support!
- Do not skip meals
- Choose healthy snacks
- Eat 4-6 small meals daily
- Remember alcohol is empty calories…and lots of them!!!
- Ask for sparkling water with lemon or lime instead of beer or wine
- Remember the 3 bite rule: the first bite is the best tasting, the second is not as good as the first and by the third you taste bud experience is over
- Eat more of the salads and green veggies at parties
- Avoid high fat and calories foods such as peanut butter and cheese
- Select not to have the high fat popcorn when you go to the holiday movies
- Do not serve meals family style – Keep pots & pans away from the table to help avoid seconds
- Learn the proper serving sizes that are right for you & stick to them when dining out or dishing up meals
- Be prepared – Take snacks with you when you’re away from home
- Get moving – Do some physical activity every day, it is a great way to burn calories
- Remember to have a snack before you leave for a party so you are not hungry and make bad choices when you arrive
- Holiday shopping is a great way to add activity – Park far away, wear comfortable shoes and remember to keep your stomach muscles tight when you walk
- Focus on friend and family – Enjoy the relationships throughout the holiday instead of the high fat, high calorie foods