Use this as a guide to stay active and delay the aging process. It is possible to add two to three years to life by staying physically fit.
Benefits of exercise:
- Control blood pressure
- Help prevent diabetes
- Get rid of depression, anxiety, and insomnia
- Improve balance and strength
- Help prevent osteoporosis
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Maintain healthy weight
- Lower cholesterol
- Reduce osteoarthritis pain
Remember to stretch before and after exercise. This will increase blood flow, improves flexibility, aids in movement, and reduces risk of injury and muscle strain. Slow, five to fifthteen warm-ups and cool-downs should be done before and after any exercise.
Exercise programs should consist of:
- Aerobic exercise to improve cardiovascular fitness and muscle tone.
- Cross country skiing
- Weight training/resistance exercise to improve muscle and flexibility.
If you have a very sedentary lifestyle make sure to check with a doctor before intense exercise.
Always include a warm-up and cool-down with any exercise to reduce the chance of injury.
- Wait at least two hours after eating before exercise.
- Only exercise when you feel well.
- Drink plenty of water before and after exercising.
- Wear clothes that are comfortable and are easy to move in.
- Wear supportive shoes for exercising.
- Make sure to set realistic exercise goals.
- Do not exercise outdoors when the weather is very warm or very cold.
- If you experience chest pain, discomfort, dizziness, palpitations, or excessive shortness of breath stop exercising immediately.
- Find an exercise partner.
- Find an exercise program you enjoy and have fun!