This Fall, try this spiced up Cajun beef supper. Serves 4.
- 3/4 pound lean ground grass-fed beef
- 4 teaspoons salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning, divided
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (20-ounce) bag frozen brown rice, prepared according to package directions
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
In a large skillet, cook beef with 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add onion, celery, pepper, jalapeño and 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, stir to scrape up any browned bits and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and cook until heated through. Meanwhile, toss warmed rice with remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Stir parsley into beef and bean mixture and spoon over rice.
Per Serving: 420 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 51g carbohydrates, (9 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 32g protein.