Try this simple coffee cake recipe with fresh apples.
Serves 12 to 16.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples (about 3/4 pound total), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons raw or turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch round or square cake pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together honey and butter until completely smooth. Whisk in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined and then gently fold in apples.
Spoon batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Bake until cake is golden brown and the center springs back when touched, about 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per Serving: 130 calories (35 from fat), 4g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, (1 g dietary fiber, 18g sugar), 2g protein.