1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 small onion, chopped
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup brown and wild rice mix
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 organic Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place chicken in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Coat with 2 teaspoons olive oil, sprinkle with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- bake 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and brush with maple syrup.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and cook until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in rice and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 35 minutes.
- Stir in pears, thyme and remaining salt and continue to cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve rice with chicken.