Dr. Megan Blunda, SMGOR Family Medicine Specialist
Being proactive with your health before pregnancy can help prevent future problems for yourself and your baby. Dr. Megan Blunda, Summit Medical Group Oregon family medicine physician, recommends taking the following measures to ensure your body is at the optimal state for a healthy pregnancy.
- Take a folic acid supplement of 400 mcg daily to prevent neural tube defects.
- See your primary care provider to identify and control any chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, thyroid disorders or asthma.
- Ensure vaccinations are up to date for you (e.g. Influenza and Tdap) and other family members who will be around the baby (e.g. Tdap)
- Double check medications for safe use during pregnancy.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol.
- Maintain a healthy weight through a healthy lifestyle by eating a whole foods plant-based diet and exercising 150 minutes per week.
- Avoid high mercury fish, cured meats and unpasteurized products.
- Manage stress through meditation and get a minimum of 7 hours of sleep daily.