- 3 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour, plus more for dusting
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 2/3 cup honey, divided
- 4 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for the bowl
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, very finely ground
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cardamom, salt and yeast.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, 1/3 cup of the honey, butter and egg, and then add to flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Butter a clean, large bowl, arrange dough in the bowl and set aside in a warm spot, covered, until risen by half, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently press dough into a 12×9-inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut into 48 squares and arrange on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. (The bites will almost touch, but leave a scant 1/2-inch between them.)
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine orange juice and remaining 1/3 cup honey in a medium bowl.
- Combine pistachios and sugar in a second bowl.
- When cool enough to handle, dip bites in orange syrup, and then roll in pistachio mixture to coat.
- Serve immediately.
Per Serving (Makes 4 dozen): Serving size: 2 bites, 150 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 15mgcholesterol, 65mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, (2 g dietary fiber, 13g sugar), 4g protein.