- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach or kale (about 1/2 large bunch), ribs removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup toasted walnuts (or pine nuts)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated ricotta salata or romano cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (can be substituted for winter green such as spinach or kale)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Pulse garlic in a food processor until chopped. Add nuts, salt, pepper and about a third of the greens. Pulse, adding remaining greens and basil in batches until finely chopped. With the motor running, slowly add oil.
- Toss cooked pasta with cheese and pesto, adjusting the consistency of the mixture with reserved pasta water as needed.
Per Serving (Serves 4 -6): 470 calories (200 from fat), 22g total fat, 3.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 350mgsodium, 58g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 14g protein.