- 1 tablespoon expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup red lentils, picked through, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen cauliflower, thawed and drained or 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (or 1 3/4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate and set aside.
Return pot to medium heat, add mustard seeds and toast, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add broth and scrape up any browned bits. Add lentils and cauliflower, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer until mixture is creamy and lentils are very tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in salt and browned sausage and serve.