That age old saying “an apple a way keeps the doctor away” couldn’t be more delicious with these savory baked apples. Nothing is more fitting as the leaves start to fall and the crisp air settles in than an apple. With this recipe you can put a fun twist on an age old favorite fruit. Jam packed with flavor, these salty and sweet treats will be sure to satisfy your belly and also ensure that you’re receiving health benefits as well. Apples are great at neutralizing your bowels, boosting your immune system, reducing cholesterol and so much more. It’s a treat you don’t have to feel too guilty about on a perfect fall day.
*Honey crisp apples tend to hold their shape better when baked
- 2/3 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 4 large Rome apples, cored
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) link sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine cranberries and cider in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 1 minute. Let stand for 10 minutes. Add mixture to rice.
- 4. Using a small spoon, carefully scoop out centers of apples, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell, and chop apple flesh. Brush the inside of apples with 1 tablespoon butter. Place apples on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until just tender.
- 5. Preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and sauté 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain. Wipe skillet, and melt remaining butter in pan. Add chopped apple, yellow onion, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sausage, onion mixture, walnuts, and next 3 ingredients (through sage) to rice; toss. Divide rice mixture evenly among apples; top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until golden.