- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 recipes prepared piecrust or 1 (15-ounce) package 9-inch roll-out piecrusts
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a floured 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 20 circles, rerolling dough as needed.
- Place 10 circles on each of the prepared baking sheets.
- Using a very sharp paring knife, cut out jack-o’-lantern faces in half of the dough circles. (Alternatively, roll out each portion of the dough into 10×16-inch rectangles and cut out 10 rectangles from each, rerolling dough as needed. If making these larger pies, bump the pumpkin purée measurement to 1 cup and brown sugar to 3 tablespoons.)
- In a medium bowl, stir together pumpkin purée, brown sugar and cinnamon until well blended.
- Working on the parchment-paper-lined baking sheet, spoon a heaping tablespoon of pumpkin filling into center of an uncut dough circle; brush edges with beaten egg.
- Top with a jack-o’-lantern face circle and press edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining filling and dough circles.
- Brush tops with remaining egg.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on the baking sheets before serving.
- Hand pies will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Per Serving (Serves 10): Serving size: 1 pie, 210 calories (100 from fat), 12 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrates, (1 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugar), 2 g protein.