- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 4 teaspoons honey mustard or sweet prepared mustard
- 4 (4- to 6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets, skin removed
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
Heat butter and 1/2 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add onion, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, 30 to 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice and keep warm.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease the bottom of a large baking dish with remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Put almond meal into a wide, shallow dish and season salmon with salt and pepper. Brush the top of each salmon fillet with mustard and then roll in almond meal, pressing to make sure it sticks. Arrange salmon in prepared baking dish in a single layer and bake until just cooked through and flesh flakes with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Transfer salmon to plates, top with caramelized onions, garnish with green onions and basil and serve.