- 1 cup rolled oats, either quick cooking or old fashioned
- 1 cup whole spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fruit-sweetened black cherry preserves
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and cherries in a large bowl. Add oil and 3 tablespoons orange juice, mixing well until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Reserve a half cup and press the rest into a lightly oiled 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice with the cherry preserves and spread evenly over the oat mixture in the pan.
- Sprinkle reserved oat mixture over the top and press down lightly with fingers.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack then cut into bars or squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Per Serving: Serving size: 1 bar, 190 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 60mg sodium, 26g carbohydrates, (2 g dietary fiber, 14g sugar), 2g protein.